Vandals in a four-wheel drive have again ripped up Morisset Country Club's golf course. Four greens and the nursery green were damaged on Thursday night. The wet conditions meant that fairways were also gouged in the attack.
It was the fifth such course invasion in five years and, this time, it has prompted a swift response from the club.
# Excavation works are being planned to prevent vehicular access to the course;
# A 24-hour caretaker has been appointed;
# Additional security measures such as CCTV are being considered; and
# A $2000 reward has been offered for information leading to the conviction of the offenders.
Morisset Country Club chief executive officer Ian Taylor said the club's members and staff were angry but determined to prevail. "We are not going to be beaten by these vandals," he said.
"We are getting right on top of this." Mr Taylor said the club would immediately create a series of permanent barriers to prevent off-road vehicles from accessing the course. "We are undertaking major excavation works to make it virtually impossible to access the course proper," he said.
"We are immediately providing a dwelling for an on-course caretaker who will have direct access to security guard back-up in minutes."
Mr Taylor responded to criticism that the club had been slow to adequately address the recurring problem of vandalism. "Sometimes, the cost of the cure can be worse than the disease," he said of earlier acts of vandalism.
But Thursday's attack was a tipping point.
Source & More: www.lakesmail.com.au